Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Production at Kantamanto"

Snr Eddie Donkor - Eye Banker
(This post is brought to you courtesy of the great work done over at http://awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com)

Over the last 2 months, I've been hanging out with a couple of my uncles and they have opened my eyes to a lot of old Ghanaian music, especially highlife from the 80's and early 90's, that I had been too young to experience at the time. This is one of the guys they've been knocking me to. He has a great sense of humor (which I guess doesn't mean much since most of you won't understand what he's saying) and, more importantly, the music is funky enough to get a paraplegic on the dancefloor. Apparently he was BIG back in the day but I had never heard of him until recently. If you enjoy this, check out more of the stuff over at Awesome Tapes. Most of these sorts of music are only available on cassete so it's great that the guy(s) over there are digitizing them and sharing: I'm just a conduit.

0 comments: